Nutrition & Dietetics
Dietetics & Clinical Nutrition - Overview
Ford Hospital, like many leading healthcare institutions, believes that diet plays a major role in the promotion of health and well-being of an individual. The Department provides & promotes optimal nutritional care & food services to the hospital. Dietetics is about good eating practices, which acts as a preventive and curative means and aids, in a healthier life.
For A Healthy Life:A nutritionally balanced diet in terms of all nutrients like proteins, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, electrolytes and vitamins is essential for general well-being. It enhances the immunity of the person by providing daily requirement of nutrients to the body. Therefore, healthy eating habits go a long way in ensuring a healthy life.
Good Nutritional Status is essential for:
- Normal organ development and function
- Normal reproduction
- Growth and maintenance
- Optimum activity and working efficiency
- Resistance to infection
- The ability to repair body damage or injury
Assessment of Nutritional Status of the patient is based mainly on:
- Anthropometric measurements
- Biochemical indices
- Clinical examination
- Dietary history
- In our department, Counselling forms the main tool for disseminating the dietetic knowledge to both indoor and outdoor patients. Individual diet charts are prepared with detailed instructions so that they can take care of the medical problems more scientifically.
- The dietary intervention is done taking into consideration the disease condition, social background and nutritional status of the patients. The patients are visited and assessed on daily basis by the dietician and the diets are modified in accordance to the progress of the patients.
- For critically ill patients, the nutritional status is assessed on a daily basis and special tube feeds are indigenously prepared for each patients and closely monitored on daily basis in coordination with the medical
- The Dieticians help the patients understand the nature of the disease and the dietary influence and its management.
Our ServicesThe dietetics Department at Ford Hospital strives to establish and encourage good nutrition practice and provide good nutrition care to the patients and normal individuals. This facility is available to all patients in OPD and IPD.
- Cardiac Disorder (Heart Disease)
- Kidney Disease, Dialysis
- Liver Disease
- Paediatric Diet (Child Nutrition)
- Diet Related to Pregnancy and Lactation
- Weight Management
- Weight management – Post Bariatric Surgery
- Burn Patient
- Endocrine Disorder Diet
- Organ transplant
- Diet Information Related Different Surgery
- Diet modification in Cancer
- Neurological disorders
- Gastrointestinal Disturbances
- Diet in Thyroid disorder
- Diet Tips & Advice
- Nutrition Lectures
Some Simple Dietetic Tips for a Healthy Life
- Eat healthy to lead a healthy life
- As age advances, eat less, exercise more
- Make breakfast the largest and dinner the lightest meal of the day.
- Don't starve yourself and overeat subsequently
- Include all colours of food in your diet.
- Don't use excess salt
- Eat your salad before you eat the meal
- Eat fresh vegetables and fruits - avoid canned / tinned and preserved food.
- Consume a variety of refined oils
- Take 2-3 liter of water per day
- Take exercise and walk half an hour daily.